This Roasted Asparagus Pesto with Pasta recipe is perfect with Chickapea Pasta because it complements the pasta’s natural nutty flavors with the addition of walnuts and a topping of toasted pine nuts. The spirals are perfect to absorb the creamy sauce!
Roasted Asparagus Pesto is quick and easy!
As soon as the asparagus was ready this year I knew I had to do something special with pasta and roasting it with lemon and garlic seemed to be a natural. I used walnuts in this pesto but you can use the traditional pine nuts or even almonds.
I love pesto and have created many different kinds but this one is now my favorite. The roasting makes all the difference and takes only 20 minutes then into the food processor.
Roasted Asparagus Pesto is perfect with Chickapea Pasta!
Now that the warmer weather is here, I want quick and easy recipes that will still include all the necessary nutrients. A vegetarian, gluten-free meal is super simple to create when I used Chickapea. I love that it is available at the farm for my shopping convenience. Not only does it provide the protein but I’m a little obsessed with textures in my food and this dense texture means I’m getting more bite for my buck!
We need to make the most of asparagus during it’s short season! Make a double batch on try it on chicken too – it was delicious!
Roasted Asparagus Pesto with Pasta
- 8 ounces Chickapea Pasta. I used spirals but all shapes would work.
- 1 pound asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, pine nuts or cashews (your choice)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cook pasta according to directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water, drain, rinse immediately and set aside.
- Toss asparagus with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet with roasted garlic. Roast at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- Heat small saute pan and toast pine nuts until brown. About 3 minutes.
- In food processor, combine basil, cheese, walnuts, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the juice from half a lemon, asparagus and garlic (peeled) until smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl combine pasta and pesto, tossing well to coat spirals. Add 1/2 cup of pasta water if extra creaminess is desired.
- Top with chopped tomatoes and toasted pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Asparagus Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms