This healthy and Gluten Free Banana and Raspberry Bread is the perfect summer brunch treat! Made with whole grains, almonds, and entirely fruit sweetened, and then flecked with summer raspberries and dark chocolate chips.
This recipe was submitted by Michelle at Sunkissed Kitchen, a partner of Barrie Hill Farms.
Brunch-worthy Raspberry Dark Chocolate Banana Bread
Who doesn’t love a good banana bread? This banana bread takes it to the next level with the addition of fresh raspberries, and dark chocolate chips.
Not only is this banana bread “next level,” it’s also good for you! This healthy gluten free banana and raspberry bread is made with whole oats and almond flour, and is entirely fruit sweetened. Not a drop of refined sugar, or even honey.
Healthy Gluten Free Banana and Raspberry Bread
Making a loaf of this delicious bread out of whole ingredients couldn’t be easier.
I always start this bread out by grinding whole oats into an oat flour. Buying the store milled oat flour is too fine and the bread loses some of it’s wonderfully hearty texture.
When making sugar free desserts, make sure you’re using high quality fruit. There’s no sugar being added to this healthy banana bread, so your bananas need to be ripe and spotty, and your berries need to be of good quality. I buy organic raspberries – they are one of the “dirty dozen.” They might not always show up on the list, but they are one of the most heavily pesticide doused produce items.
I like using big, sweet medjool dates when sweetening a quick bread or cake recipe, but using other date varieties is fine. Make sure your dates are fresh and soft so they blend up well into the banana bread batter.
Tips for Banana Raspberry Bread
- Make it Gluten Free: If you need this recipe to be gluten free, be sure to buy certified gluten free oats.
- Make it Ahead: This loaf freezes beautifully. Be sure to wrap it tight in plastic wrap, and then seal in a freezer ziplock bag. Allow to defrost on the counter when ready to serve.
Banana and Raspberry Bread
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil virgin
- 5-6 medjool dates 3 ounces, pitted
- 3 bananas ripe (12 ounces peeled)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups oats gluten free, if necessary
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add oats to a blender, and process to form a fine flour. I find that store bought oat flour is too fine and gives breads a slighly sandy texture, so I recommend grinding your own for this recipe. Set oat flour aside and rinse blender.
- Add almond milk and dates to the blender. Warm coconut oil until its liquid and slightly warm. Warming it ensures it doesn't solidify when mixed with the cold ingredients.
- Process the dates, milk and oil until it becomes a very smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add bananas and mash with a fork. Leave some texture to the bananas. Since this recipe is fruit sweetened, it's very important to use ripe and sweet bananas.
- Add the eggs, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt, along with the date paste, to the bowl with the bananas, and stir to combine.
- Add the oat flour and almond flour, and stir just until there is no more dry flour.
- Add the raspberries and dark chocolate chips, and gently fold into the batter.
- Line and loaf pan (8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2) with baking paper, and add batter to the pan. Sprinkle additional oats and chocolate chips on top, if desired.
- Bake for 50 minutes-1 hour, until the center of the loaf is set. Allow to cool before slicing.
- This bread is delicious served warm or cold. Store sealed tight in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer up to 2 months.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Sunkissed Kitchen, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Raspberry Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms