It’s the healthy comfort food season and what better way to enjoy than this Pan-Fried Sausage & Apples dish. There are so many delicious elements to this recipe – garlic, onions, mushrooms, red peppers, spinach and sage create a medley of memorable flavors!
The farm has so many different varieties of apples to choose from – Sunrise, Gala, Honey Crisp, Mackintosh and Zestar! I’m all about creating your own flavors so feel free to pick your favorite apple for this dish but I used Sunrise – one of my favorite!
Sweet and savory is always popular and the addition of pan-fried sage takes this dish over the top. When cooked this way, sage leaves lose their pungent, harsh taste entirely and become subtle instead of overpowering.
We all know about the main benefits of apples but did you also know that they:
- Improve neurological health
- Prevent dementia
- Lower levels of bad cholesterol
- Reduce risk of diabetes
Pan-Fried Sausage & Apples
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 sweet Italian sausages (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 container of button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Sunrise apples, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedge. Or use the red apple of your choice.
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages, and cook, turning occasionally, 6 – 8 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet, and set aside, covering to keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add mushrooms, and cook 1 minute. Add bell pepper and apples, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until mixture is slightly softened. Stir in sage, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and sausages.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until sausages are cooked through and vegetables are tender.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Apple Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms: