Chives and basil in this Heirloom Tomato Salad with Roasted Lemon and Garlic with added cilantro make this salad sing with summer flavors!
While I was cutting up the shallots and tomatoes, I roasted some lemon and garlic and simply added them at the end. The salad dressing consists of just extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and yes, more pepper! I brushed them with a little olive oil and honey hoping that it would result in an interesting taste. Not so much! You know that limes are powerful.
Well, roasting them makes them twice as powerful and…. inedible! I should have figured that out when I googled ‘roasted limes’ and there wasn’t a single entry. Live and learn, ha! It was an interesting experiment and that’s what cooking is all about!
You can use any type of tomato you like in this dish and it’s a great way to enjoy the local produce right now.
Heirloom Tomato Salad with Roasted Lemon and Garlic
- 1 lemon, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 pints mixed cherry heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly
- a handful of fresh basil
- 3-4 spears chives, chopped
- small handful of cilantro (optional), chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Place lemon slices and garlic cloves on baking sheet. Mix olive oil and honey in small bowl and brush on to lemon slices. Roast for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Mix dressing ingredients
- Combine shallots, tomatoes and herbs. Add lemon slices and garlic when done. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss very gently. Serve immediately.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Tomato Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms