Easy Walnut Pesto Pasta with Blistered Tomatoes comes together in twenty minutes and is packed with flavour and wonderful nutrients for your family!
The egg is optional but it just seemed to be calling out for one! This is one big, protein-packed bowl of scrumptiousness. I’ve used both kale and basil for greenery. Shaved Parmesan or pecorino works well on top.
The spiral pasta is perfect for this because it grabs that pesto. You can roast the tomatoes in the oven while the pasta is cooking or saute them as I did. So many fun ways to do this dish and you can make it your own by adding mushrooms, peppers, eggplant, zucchini – whatever you happen to be craving that night.
Easy Walnut Pesto Pasta with Blistered Tomatoes
- 1/2 pound of spiral pasta
- 3 tbsp walnut pesto or regular jarred pesto
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, some halved, leave smaller ones whole
- pinch of red pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or just 1 clove if you’re planning on some kissing!)
- 1 package of baby kale
- a handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions, reserve 1/2 cup pasta water and drain. Place noodles in bowl.
- Make pesto according to directions.
- In a large skillet heat one tablespoon of olive oil.over medium-high heat, add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes and garlic and cook until tomatoes are blistered; 5-7 minutes. (Alternatively, you can roast the tomatoes for 5-10 minutes under 350 F)
- Add pesto to pasta and mix until well coated. Add pasta to tomatoes with kale, half the basil and pasta water and stir until warmed through and water is evaporated.
- While pasta is warming, cook your 4 eggs sunny side up.
- Serve immediately, topping each dish with one egg, chopped basil and parmesan cheese.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Tomato Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms