This Bruschetta with Mozzarella appetizer will be a hit at home and for any party you attend. The flavors of the mozzarella combined with the asparagus and tomatoes create an excellent combination that tastes great and feels great! You can substitute the cheese for goat or bocconcini and add your own flavors to mix together with the asparagus and tomatoes. The mint and orange zest also add a nice sweet and tasty combination!
I started out writing this post by saying, ‘bruschetta recipes are my favourite’ and then I realized I say that about shrimp, meatballs, salmon, berries, tomatoes….the list goes on and on. I guess I feel passionate about all the things I make and this one is no exception and best of all, it falls under the quick, easy and healthy category. I had tons of fun at Barrie Hill Farms where I was able to pick up fresh asparagus and tomatoes and combine them to create this tantalizing appetizer! Asparagus and tomatoes can be used to create lots of other simple and healthy recipes.
Bruschetta with Mozzarella is a Flexible Recipe
This isn’t your average appetizer. I’ve thrown some orange zest and garlic in there and with the added fresh mint and chives, the flavours are out of this world. You can put the tomato on and lay the asparagus on top or you can chop them into smaller pieces and mix them together for more of a bruschetta style (or do both like I did). It will depend on your patience that day because it takes a little more time to assemble them this way but it was worth it – don’t they look cute!
I used both bocconcini cheese and mozzarella (sometimes goat cheese) cheese simply because I had a little of both and wanted to use it up. They were equally delicious. You can drizzle a little more olive oil on it before you serve if you like but I find if you’re serving to guests this can get kind of messy on the fingers and they won’t present so well on the plate after a while. If you’re just having them with your partner at home, – go with it!
Bruschetta Recipes with Mozzarella are always a party favorite!
Add a nice cool bottle of chardonnay and you’ve got yourself a party. Speaking of parties….this dish was made especially for Michelle at Healthy Recipe Ecstasy and the virtual baby shower we’re throwing today. Congrats, Michelle, Alasdair & Alex!
I’d love to hear what kind of apps you do for your parties. I’m learning more and more about just how talented the readers here are and that’s so exciting. Come share your creations! Until then…Cheers!
Bruschetta with Mozzarella, Asparagus and Tomatoes
- 1 handful Asparagus cleaned, woody tips cut off, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 wholegrain baguette or other bread of your choice
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella or goat or bocconcini
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced half
- 2 tbsp orange zest freshly grated
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- mint leaves minced
- chives minced
- olive oil to drizzle, optional
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Cut baguette, brush lightly with olive oil and bake on cookie sheet until golden. About 15 minutes.
- Blanch asparagus in salted water until tender – about 3 minutes. Let dry or use paper towels.
- Mix cherry tomatoes, asparagus, garlic, orange zest, mint, chives, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice cheese into discs and place on toasted baguette pieces.
- Place mixture on top of cheese or put individual pieces for a more finessed look.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Asparagus Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms