It’s time for Blueberry Maple Bread Pudding! You can do a delicious bread pudding without guilt and it’s quick and simple too!
When was the last time you had bread pudding? I know, right! In our family, we always talk about the delicious bread pudding my grandfather used to make. On the other hand, I’m always bookmarking the good looking ones I come across online but I never ever get around to making them.
Bread pudding doesn’t have to be unhealthy and if you substitute maple syrup for sugar, your result is an even more delicious flavour. I picked these fresh blueberries from Barrie Hill Farms.
This dish couldn’t be any easier. Simply combine your ingredients, whisk well and pour over your bread pieces. If you can let it sit in the fridge overnight – perfect. If you don’t have the time, however, a couple hours will do. A little time in the oven, add some more fresh blueberries and almonds and you’ve got yourself breakfast, brunch or a delicious snack. I’ve included the option of adding a little lemon or orange zest if you like as well.
Blueberry Maple Bread Pudding
- 3/4 loaf of your favourite bread (challah, brioche works well)
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, washed
- zest from 1/2 lemon or orange (optional)
- If you’d like a little something extra, add some peaches as well.
- Cut pieces of bread into 1 inch cubes and place into a 9 inch baking dish.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients except for 1/4 cup of blueberries. Pour the mixture carefully over the bread letting it soak in well. Add the remaining fresh berries on top.
- Cover pan in plastic wrap and set in fridge for 2 hours to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and replace the plastic with foil. Bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 30 minutes until puffy and golden.
- Remove and let rest for 5 minutes. Top with slivered almonds, a drizzle of maple syrup and serve.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Blueberry Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms