Vegan Asparagus Soup is a fresh and easy way to take advantage of your local farm fresh produce. The season is short so make the most of it! Make a double batch because it freezes easily and you can savor it throughout the summer.
You’re going to love the deep flavors in this vegan soup! Using potatoes, celery and garlic along with oregano, basil and pepper allows the earthy, salty flavors of asparagus to shine.
We now have Pick Your Own Asparagus at the farm! The kids love the wagon rides and learning about our healthy foods that grow from the earth.
3 Reasons Vegan Asparagus Soup Should Be On Your Menu:
- Asparagus is a nutrient-packed vegetable. It is a very good source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells. That’s good news if you’re watching your blood sugar.
- This herbaceous plant—along with avocado, kale and Brussels sprouts—is a particularly rich source of glutathione, a detoxifying compound that helps break down carcinogens and other harmful compounds like free radicals.
- It’s one of the top ranked fruits and vegetables for its ability to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals. This may help slow the aging process and reduce inflammation.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
Vegan Asparagus Soup
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 russet potato, diced
- 3 cups asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces, woody ends removed
- 5 cups veggie stock
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in saute pan on medium high heat. Saute onions, potatoes celery, and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add asparagus,and herbs, saute for 5 minutes. (Set aside a few pieces of cooked asparagus for garnish if desired)
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blend well with wand or transfer to a blender. Taste and add seasoning if required.
More Asparagus Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms
Beef Stir Fry with Asparagus, Snap Peas & Fiddleheads
Spicy Sauteed Shrimp with Maple Roasted Asparagus and Tomatoes
Asparagus Soup Recipe with Spinach and Garlic