Time for gorgeous apples, and what better healthy way to enjoy them by tossing up this Autumn Kale Apple and Quinoa Salad. This kale apple salad is packed with superfoods which give it amazing flavours, textures, and colours.
What’s in this Kale Apple Walnut Salad?
Barrie Hill Farms has its own apple orchard which produces Sunrise and Zestar! apples. Sunrise apples are a cross between a McIntosh and a Golden Delicious, it’s a great eating apple. Zestar! apples are sold as an “early Honeycrisp” and are perfect for baking or eating fresh. I chose the Zestar! for this recipe. These are so delicious that the name comes with it’s own exclamation mark – love it. Barrie Hill Farms grows a wide variety of apples, all ready for picking in the fall.
To look at this recipe you’d think there are loads of ingredients but it’s actually very simple. Cooking up the quinoa takes you only 10 minutes, let it cool and add your chopped veggies and nuts and you’re done. I’ve added a lively dressing that your family will rave over. The skin is left on because there are lots of nutrients in it for you and your growing children.
Tips for making an Autumn Kale Apple and Quinoa Salad
Mix up this delicious kale quinoa apple salad and make it your own! We’ve added the veggies we had on hand – which were celery and bell pepper, and used my favorite hearty green, kale. This salad would be equally delicious made with spinach, and tomatoes, mushrooms, and carrots would all be great additions.
We love apples and walnuts together, but toasted almonds or even hazelnuts would be great additions.
The dressing on this salad is a simple vinaigrette, but save time by using your favorite store bought dressing.
Autumn Kale Apple and Quinoa Salad
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 2 apples diced
- 1/2 cup quinoa raw
- 1 cup vegetable broth (or sub chicken broth or water)
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pecans sub almonds or pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup raspberry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1-2 tablespoons honey raw
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon shallots diced finely
- In a medium saucepan, cook quinoa according to directions, substituting vegetable or chicken broth for water. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and let cool completely.
- Add the kale, apples, celery, pepper, parsley, nuts, raisins and sees to the cooled quinoa to a large mixing bowl.
- Combine ingredients for dressing in your food processor and pulse until well blended. Pour over the the salad and mix well until completely coated.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Apple Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms
Oven Roasted Chicken Breast with Apples and Shallots
Goat Cheese Bruschetta with Honey Crisp Apple
When are Apples Available at Barrie Hills Farm?