Planted this year for the first time is popping corn. Grown in the fields like regular corn it will be available this fall.
Popping corn is yet another variety of corn that has a hard, moisture-resistant hull that surrounds a dense pocket of starch that will pop when heated. Popcorn is a whole grain and Gluten Free.
We are very excited to be adding this new crop this season and it will be available in our market and Pick Your Own!
Available at the Market and for Pick Your Own (when available).
$2.00 per cob – includes a popping bag and instructions.
Drying and Popping the popcorn you picked at Barrie Hill Farms
Popcorn needs to be at about 12% moisture for it to pop properly. The corn that you picked at the farm is usually about 18-20%. We recommend that you dry the popcorn for about 7 to 10 days then do a pop-test.
- Break the cob in half take off about 10 kernels,
- Put them in a paper Sandwich bag (provided) and place them in the microwave.
- If the test kernels pop place the ear in a paper sandwich bag (provided).
- If not let the popcorn dry for another few more days, then try again.
- Place bag in the microwave for 3-4 minutes.
- When the popping starts to slow turn off the microwave so that the corn does not burn.
Variation: Popping corn can be purchased as DECORATIVE Corn in bundles of 4 for $9.99 for your seasonal fall decorating or addition to our porch package. After use there, it can be made into popping corn. Available in the Market.
Popping Corn FAQ
What is popping corn?
• Popping corn is yet another variety of corn that has a hard, moisture-resistant hull that surrounds a dense pocket of starch that will pop when heated
How do I dry my popcorn?
• Remove the husks and place the ears in mesh bags and hang in a warm, dry, well-ventilated location
• Ensure plenty of air circulation
• Recommend indoors (i.e., garage)
How long does it have to dry?
• We recommend that you dry the popcorn for about 7-10 days then do a pop test.
What is a pop test?
• Break the cob in half take off about 10 kernels,
• Put them in a paper Sandwich bag (provided) and place them in the microwave.
• If the test kernels pop place the ear in a paper sandwich bag (provided).
• If not let the popcorn dry for another few more days, then try again
Can I pop it right away?
• As the moisture levels depend on daily weather we recommend performing a pop test after the allotted drying time to ensure it is ready for full popping
How do I pop it?
• Place cob in paper bag and fold over the top
• Place bag in the microwave for 3-4 minutes.
• When the popping starts to slow turn off the microwave so that the corn does not burn.
Can it get too dry to pop?
• If stored popcorn fails to pop, it may be too dry. Add 1 tablespoon of water to a quart of popcorn. Cover and shake at frequent intervals until the popcorn has absorbed the water. After 3 or 4 days, test pop a few kernels to see if it is ready. Add more water and repeat the process until the popcorn pops well.
How do I know if its dry enough to pop?
• wait for the husks to completely dry out before peeling open
• Ensure there is plenty of air circulation during storage/drying process
• If the popcorn is “chewy” or the popped kernels are jagged, it is too wet and needs to continue drying.
How to store and how long can I store it before needing to pop it?
• store on cob in paper bag
• Strip off cob into glass mason jars
• Glass mason jars – store up to 1 year
Why is my popping corn not popping?
• If the popcorn pops but is “chewy” or the popped kernels are jagged, it is too wet and needs to continue drying.
Can I pop regular sweet corn?
• Nope. The corn at your local grocery is called sweet corn, and it won’t pop. Neither will field corn, the type used in foods such as tortilla chips. Only the kernels from popcorn cobs will pop. Why? They have small, hard kernels that, when heated, trap their moisture until it turns into steam. As pressure builds, the kernels ultimately explode and the hulls are turned inside out. The starch inside the kernels then inflates and becomes one of our favorite healthful snack foods—tasty, crunchy, low-calorie and fibrous.
How do I get popping corn?
• At BHF you can buy popping corn in our on-farm market or you can pick it in our pick-your-own fields
How much is popping corn at BHF?
• Market: $2/ cob (includes instructions and paper bag)
• PYO: $2/ cob (includes instructions and paper bag)
How do you pick it in the fields?
• ensure the husks are completely dry
• Break cob off corn stalk by bending down and away from stalk
Do different colored kernels taste differently?
• There is almost no difference between white or yellow popcorn; although most theaters and microwavable popcorn you’d find in a grocery store are from yellow kernels because they produce a more yellow buttery looking appeal. White kernels produce smaller, lighter popcorn
• All the varieties of popcorn taste about the same, but the size and texture of the popped popcorn are a little different from each other.
What else can I do with popping corn other than pop it?
• Makes for beautiful fall decoration before popping
Is popping corn healthy?
• Its gluten free
• It’s a whole grain
• One of the more healthier snack foods
Can I re-pop popcorn kernels that didn’t pop the first time?
• Yes. Gather all unpopped kernels from bottom of bag or bowl and try again in a few days after giving them more time to dry out.
Can I put the whole cob in the microwave, or do I have to break all the kernels off first?
• yes, you can put the entire cob in the microwave.
• Just place the whole cob into the provided paper bag
Will all the kernels pop off the cob during popping?
• no, some kernels may stay on the cob after popping
• It is easy to break off the cob and eat