This delicious Garlic Crostini with Asparagus and Ricotta Cheese is the perfect spring or summer appetizer. Serve this ricotta bruschetta with a glass of wine for the perfect light meal.
Farm Fresh Asparagus
I was at Barrie Hill Farms last weekend where I picked up some blueberries for one of my upcoming recipes and I snapped a few pics of the beautiful produce in their store. Each time I go to the market I am amazed at all the fresh fruits and vegetables, the unique sauces, syrups, pickles, fresh cut flowers – it’s heaven! The summer produce is so good for us and eating locally grown foods definitely makes a big difference in flavour, in my opinion.
You’re not going to find this kind of gorgeous produce in the big supermarkets! It’s almost asparagus season, maybe one of my favorites at Barrie Hills Farm, and this recipe is a great use.
This is a quick and easy appetizer that requires no cooking except for toasting the bread. I went with some decadent Italian bread and I have to admit it was yummy. I’ve made some summer meatball subs for a future post and I promise a healthier bread for that one.
This recipe comes from Canadian Living with a few changes. They blanched the asparagus but I didn’t cook it at all. I used my potato peeler to remove the skin to get rid of that woody flavour and then cut it into small pieces. I prefer the crispy freshness of it raw. Delicious!
Asparagus, Garlic and Ricotta Crostini
This easy recipe for a ricotta crostini might also be called ricotta bruschetta – after all, does it matter what you call it if it’s delicious and covered with farm fresh produce?
Garlic Crostini with Asparagus And Ricotta Cheese
- 15 slices baguette thick
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cloved garlic halved
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup radishes thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon chives freshly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- On baking sheet, drizzle baguette slices with oil; bake in 400ºF oven until crispy and light golden, about 6 minutes. Turn halfway through if you want both sides browned. Rub tops with cut sides of garlic halves. Set aside.
- Combine ricotta, chives, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice,and the pepper; set aside. (Can be made up to 1 day ahead)
- Toss together asparagus, radishes, and remaining lemon juice. Top crostini with ricotta mixture, then asparagus mixture.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Asparagus Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms