This fruity Blueberry Avocado Salsa is a refreshing snack or a delightful side to grilled meat and fish recipes. You can spice it up with some jalapeno or add more sweetness by doubling the strawberries. Either way, it’s going to make your meal!
Combining delicious blueberries and strawberries from Barrie Hill Farms is the perfect way to celebrate summer and you’ll find that entertaining has never been this easy. The kids will love this too and it’s such a wonderful way to get those necessary nutrients into them during those important years of growth.
Blueberries Are Considered A Superfood!
- Low in calories but high in fibre, Vitamin C and Vitamin K
- Blueberries have the highest antioxidant capacity of all the popular fruits and vegetables. Flavonoids appear to be the berries’ antioxidant with the greatest impact.
- Several studies suggest that blueberries and blueberry juice reduce DNA damage, which is a leading driver of aging and cancer.
- The antioxidants in blueberries have been shown to reduce a predominant risk factor for heart disease by preventing oxidative damage to “bad” LDL cholesterol
How do you cook your fresh picked blueberries? Share in the comments section or tag us #barriehillfarms on social media with your creations. We’d love to share your inspiration with our readers!
Blueberry Avocado Sala
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 5 medium strawberries, hulled, chopped into chunks
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- zest of two limes
- 1/2 cup avocado, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine blueberries, strawberries, onion, lime zest, juice and cilantro in a food processor or blender and pulse. For a chunky salsa, pulse 6-7 times. If you like it creamy, 10-12 times.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour into serving bowl. Add avocado and mix. Serve immediately.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Blueberry Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms