We are all trying to include more plant based protein in our diets these days and combining wild rice with fresh farm produce is the perfect way to achieve that goal – Asparagus Wild Rice Salad will soon be a family favorite!
This quick and easy recipe allows you to boil the asparagus and peas with the rice and simply add the remaining veggies and dressing. Simple, yes?
Why is Asparagus Wild Rice Salad so Healthy?
- Asparagus is low in calories but boasts an impressive nutrient profile.In fact, just half a cup (90 grams) of cooked asparagus contains:Calories: 20, Protein, Fat, Fiber, Vitamin C and A, Folate, Potasium, Phosphorous, Vitamin E
- Good source of anti-oxidants
- Can improve digestive health
- Helps improve blood pressure
- Easy to add to your diet
Don’t skip the addition of fresh herbs to the recipe for extra healthy deliciousness!
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
Asparagus Wild Rice Salad
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup wild rice or wild rice blend
- 8 ounces asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 3 radishes, washed, trimmed and sliced thinly
- 1 cup shredded radicchio
- 2 spring onions, chopped, both white and green parts
- 1/2 cup basil, julienned
- handful of chopped cilantro and parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to directions. Two minutes before rice done, add asparagus and peas. Set aside. Cool slightly.
- Combine dressing ingredients and toss with cooled rice, asparagus and peas.
- Add radicchio, radishes, spring onions and fresh herbs. Toss and serve.
More Asparagus Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms